Saturday, July 09, 2005

Small World

This morning I headed off to Hughes Hall for breakfast with Jen and one of my classmates from Jordan--my fellow MBA BBQ Master:






After a while, a large group sat down the table from us. They must have overheard Jen and I talking and asked if we were American, then asked where we were from. Jen said Florida and I said Wisconsin, to which they exclaimed, "so are we!" Turns out they are a group from UW-Oshkosh taking a couple summer courses at Cambridge and they just flew in this morning. Always great to see some people from back home.

On the way out, leaving Hughes, we saw a few people coming in--easily recognized as more Americans (and, I assume, with the Wisconsin crew). The ability to pick fellow Americans out of a crowd is certainly a skill I learning since coming over here--I didn't even realize it would be possible. Funny that I came to Europe to learn about the rest of the world and in the process also gained a greater perspective on my own home country...I guess some things are easier to see from the outside than the inside.

1 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Keven said...

I found that the other way. When I was in England if someone asked me what a Brit looked like I couldn't tell you. Now after being in the States 8 years I can spot them every time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home